Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day Two

Well here it is, renovation day two, and I thought I'd be regaling you all with tales of stubborn wallpaper and drywall damage and spackle-galore... but alas (or not!), the wallpaper removal went swimmingly :-)

 The wallpaper itself peeled away nicely in sheets, leaving the adhesive behind...

 Then, we sprayed on some lean, mean, glue-eatin'... stuff.

The glue literally peeled away in sheets, just as the wallpaper had done! It was that easy!

The miracle potion? Piranha Wallpaper Remover Liquid Spray from Lowes. Lucky guess on my part... it was the only wallpaper remover that Lowes sold, so I bought it!

What was left behind was nothing but bare-naked walls, just begging for a coat of fresh paint (and who are we to deny them?)

We (almost) finished painting the ceiling, save for these still-drying repairs from removing the giant fluorescent eyesore. 

We plan on installing some track lighting in the very near future, but for now the remaining lighting will suffice.  There's another chandelier (which will also be going, but for now it's tolerable and it's all we have!) as well as one recessed fixture above the sink. I'm sure I don't have to tell you, our kitchen was a lighting disaster. Truly. Three different fixtures within feet of one another? ICK.  

The walls got their first coat of paint... mostly. Again there were some wall repairs that took F.O.R.E.V.E.R. to dry (no thanks to the uber-rainy weather we enjoyed today, not to mention the naturally humid condition of any space that's saturated with paint!), and we didn't want to have wet paint near areas that would soon be sanded. So there's some detail work to be finished tomorrow, and then we'll tape off the ceiling, slap a second coat over everything and call it a day! 

Ok fine, here's a preview of the walls...


It's the softest, warmest, most lovely-est gray ever, and I adore it :-) Momma hit another paint color home run, baby! 

Well, the mess is contained for the night and we're enjoying some decaf and dessert with friends. Peace out, and stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment